Roblog

Caravaggio: Evil Genius

October 21st, 2007 by roblog · No Comments

As many of you know, this semester I have based my Individual Study in painting off of the work of Italian baroque painter Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio, who was described by Spanish painter Vincenzo Carducho in 1630 as an “evil genius, who worked naturally, almost without precepts, without doctrine, without study, but only with the strength of his talent, and nothing but nature before him, which he simply copied in his amazing way.”¹

Self Portrait, with nostrils
So far this semester, most of my time has been spent exhaustively researching the unfathomable laziness of Caravaggio’s working technique (in hopes of learning from the master). Which meant that, besides venturing out briefly to paparazzi UMW faculty, I had to spend my fall break holed up in a Daniel street studio coaxing the beginnings out of a big ol’ painting,² (also churning out this purdy little test) in time for this Thursday’s Forum on Undergraduate Research.

So, if you’re curious to learn about Caravaggio’s unorthodox use of egg tempera (or just want to see my nostrils projected at a massive scale), come to the Department of Art and Art History’s Forum on Undergraduate Research on October 25 at 5 PM in Melchers 107.

Sincerely,

the ever unflattering Roblog

_______

¹ Evil genius? Man, if anyone ever described me that way, I’d put it on my business cards.

² So what’s in this big painting you ask? Well…Nascar…tiki torch fuel…I’ve said too much already.

Tags: Art · caravaggio · Individual Study Painting