Roblog

Where in the World is Jim Groom?: National Folk Festival

October 15th, 2007 by roblog · 6 Comments

a fella on the 5 string banjo at the National Folk FestivalWhen me and the little lady attended the National Folk Festival in Richmond this weekend, while watching the inimitable Campbell family band―featuring Mary Washington’s own Molly Campbell on mandolin (and a studio art major no less)―…

The Campbell Family Band

…we had a rare Jim Groom sighting. (Always the consummate professional, he was wearing a WordPress shirt to keep UMWblogs close to his heart even while recreating):

Jim Groom, the consummate professional, wearing a WordPress shirt to keep umwblogs close to his heart even while recreating.

Other highlights of the festivities include:

a little impromptu old time

Phil Wiggins teaches a childrens workshop on the harmonica

Bluesman Phil Wiggins of the piedmont blues band Cephas and Wiggins leads a children’s harmonica workshop.

Linda Lay and company sing bluegrass

Linda Lay on the autoharp for a bluegrass rendition of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot.

More photos:

A crane on the JamesSome beautiful ground artThe Jerry Grcevich Tamburitza OrchestraThere were a lot of banjosThe fiddlin’ really brought out the crowds

Until next time,

Roblog

_____

(While it is true that this post is of questionable academic value to my art/poetry blog, it does feature Guatemalan folk art, piedmont blues, and of course, Jim Groom.)

Tags: jim groom sightings · music · Richmond

6 responses so far ↓

• UMW Blogs » Blog Archive » The UMW Blogs Twilight Zone // Oct 15th 2007 at 10:30 pm

[…] brought the UMW Blogs experiment full circle for me. A blog from a student on UMW Blogs was titled “Where in the world is Jim Groom?: National Folk Festival.” Say what? I was, indeed, at the National Folk Festival in Richmond yesterday, and I had the good […]

• D'Arcy Norman // Oct 15th 2007 at 10:47 pm

man, the Good Reverend sure is a fanboy 🙂

• reverend // Oct 15th 2007 at 11:28 pm

@D’Arcy: please! Don;t start this on other people’s blogs.

@Rob: Thanks for the awesome post, I am truly honored and freaked out 🙂

• Whitney // Oct 22nd 2007 at 10:35 am

The national folk festival is a blast. i went last year, and met a couple of toddler blue grass fans, received an offer to have a grommeted jean jacket tailor-made for me, and witnessed a memorably lovely sunset on the james…

And, Robert, this sighting of (all hail) JIM GROOM is hilarious.

• KC // Oct 29th 2007 at 9:59 pm

The “little lady” looks so happy and content here.
    It pains me how bereft she is now. I hope you are taking care of yourself. What benefit fame if you are too debilitated to enjoy it? Please don’t end up a dead poet or artist. Thought you’d be with us forever.

• » The UMW Blogs Twilight Zone WPMu Ed // Nov 18th 2007 at 7:03 am

[…] that brought the UMW Blogs experiment full circle for me. A blog from a student was titled “Where in the world is Jim Groom?: National Folk Festival.” Say what? I was, indeed, at the National Folk Festival in Richmond yesterday, and I had the good […]