Roblog

What ever happened to Mona Frida?

September 14th, 2007 by roblog · 3 Comments

Professor Och made a blog post about the mysterious comings and goings of the Mona Fridas.

I came back from West Virginia this past weekend to discover all the bulletin boards in Melchers wallpapered with photocopies of the Mona Lisa with Frida Kahlo eyebrows. I snagged a few pictures of them when I brought my camera in to photograph some of my printmaking work (which was really lucky because they were all gone by Wednesday.)

Mona Fridas take over Melchers…Nobody seems to know whats the deal with these or who put them up. I figured it was a promotion for something but then nothing happened, and they disappeared just as quickly as they appeared. I have to admit I’m dying to know what was going on, so come forward, whoever you are.

Mona Frida what?Anyway, for me, the most interesting part of this whole thing was how quickly the students joined in. After just a few hours doodles started appearing all over the Mona Frida, and some were pulled down and taken home or moved around into weird places in the building.

Teenage Mutant Mona Frida(In the interest of full disclosure, I admit that I was the one who couldn’t resist turning Leonardo’s Mona Lisa into Leonardo the ninja turtle.)

But in seriousness, I think this brings up a topic instantly relatable to the new world of internet publishing, anonymity and appropriation: what happens when art becomes open-source or wikipedia-styled, where everyone just builds on eachothers work with no care towards ownership or individual credit?

Maybe this will lead to a new world of post-modern possibilties?

(…or maybe it will lead to this?¹)

______

¹ You know, I really didn’t want to be known as the first guy to put the word “poop” on umwblogs, especially not as the featured blog, but I did it, because sometimes art demands sacrifice.

Tags: Art · Melchers

3 responses so far ↓

• reverend // Sep 15th 2007 at 3:19 pm

Roblog,

Are you trying to be the featured blog twice in a row? Awesome post! I do love your discussion of open-source art, a fascinating question that certainly is worth exploring in more detail.

• The Mystery of Mona Frida at Featured Blog // Sep 19th 2007 at 11:25 pm

[…] Och only caught the last remnants of this phenomenon with her camera, it seems like Roblog captured the inspired graffiti in all its splendor. Does this make him a prime suspect? Please report any and all information you might have about […]

• Pete // Oct 3rd 2007 at 11:48 am

I’m irked that I missed this “hall art.”

I’m not sure if I’d call it street art, seeing the actuator was not bold enough to bring it outside.

Any insights, those who saw it, on what technique was used? Photocopy? Screen print? Photoshop & laser printer?